12 April 2009

Nick Swisher: Legit!

Nick Swisher is hotter than a female teenage pop singer right now. He's hitting at a downright absurd pace. And he's having more fun on the baseball diamond than he's ever had in his entire life. And all he's really doing is making the most of his opportunities. He's doing so well that more opportunities keep presenting themselves and more days are being spent on the field than on the bench.

I know it's early, but Nick's stats need mention. Since coming off the bench, Swish has recorded 7 hits in 13 at-bats with 9 RBI. He's hitting .538 with an OPS of 2.010 -- that's pretty insane. But he's taking it all in stride. “I’m absolutely loving it,” Swisher was quoted as saying. “It’s like I almost don’t want to wake up, I don’t want to soak it in. I want to keep that fire and keep that passion and keep that attitude going. When I go to the ballpark right now, I feel confident.”

So do we Nick, so do we.

The whole thing has me thinking though. After all, I was very much in support of just going forward with Nick Swisher at 1st when we acquired him over the winter and not pursuing Teixeira at all. In fact it appears I was not alone. Kat O'Brien, over at Newsday had a great piece a few days ago that told a very interesting story in regard to the Teixeira deal. Simply put, Teixiera was never really an option. It was only after meeting with him in December, a move Cash admitted was more to leverage CC than land Tex, where the dream signing became a reality.

"Teixeira never was really an option," Cashman said. (see) "It was something I kept pushing, but it was not really being accepted by above me . . . I guess persistence paid off. I knocked on that door, I guess, just enough that someone finally answered. Hal really gave me the OK to pursue it over a few-day period. And at that point, I still thought the Red Sox were getting him."

After the mess the Sox ownership and brain trust made with Teixeira -- by way of their ridiculous obsession with trying to outsmart Scott Boras -- Cash was obviously more than ready to pick up the pieces and provide the team with tremendous depth at the same time. So thanks for being blowhards Sox brass, it's really paying off so far.

And for those interested, the wrist injury that sidelined Teixeira last night is apparently little more than tendinitis and only prevents him from swinging the bat right-handed. He should play this afternoon and hit lefty. It's nice to have switch-hitters.

No comments: