10 January 2009

Nady or Swisher

As we inch closer and closer towards the beginning of Spring Training, more and more reports are surfacing in regards to the futures of Nick Swisher and Xavier Nady. It seems that because of the Mark Teixeira signing, the Yankees now have a glut of corner outfielders and DH types -- an issue I alluded to when I incorrectly predicted why Teixeira wouldn't be a Yankee. Ideally I'd love to carry both and trade Damon instead and have listed my reasons why. That doesn't seem to be the case though as the Yankees are mysteriously satisfied with Johnny Leather. Whatever, just make sure you show him the door at the end of this season.

The Washington Nationals have most recently expressed interest in both players via MLB.com. Because they are the Washington Nationals, I haven't a clue what kind of prospects we could acquire via trade, but on first inspection the most likely candidates would be one of either Elijah Dukes or Lastings Milledge.

I really wouldn't mind acquiring either, as they are both very special players with that unfortunate combination of raw talent and personal issues that may prevent them from reaching their full potentials. I figure the leadership in our clubhouse would hopefully alleviate some of those pressures and issues though. Personally, I would value Dukes more, but not by much. I just remember him crushing, what was I think, his first professional HR at the old Yankee Stadium (that feels weird to type) and I've had my eye on him since. It's pretty much a wash though as either would represent an upgrade CF. I know, I know, I've lobbied against a CF upgrade, but these 2 represent the real type of upgrade I'd gladly accept. Besides, we need some brothas on the team.

There is also interest on behalf of the Cincinnati Reds. I am less inclined to consider this one as the rumored trade chips, on the internet at least, are starting pitchers Bronson Arroyo or Aaron Harang. I am fine with solving the 5th starter spot internally from either Alfredo Aceves, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, or Phil Coke. I am also fine with not ever considering Bronson Arroyo for anything. Aaron Harang is certainly more intriguing, but I want to leave that 5th spot for a homegrown pitcher.

So who goes?

The most attractive trade piece is Nady as it would just be a one year commitment that would no doubt net 2 prospects when the player and his agent, the lovable Scott Boras, enter free agency at the end of the year. Swisher has 3 years and $22 million left on his deal. That plus his .219 average last year would prevent most teams from taking that entire deal on. Plus, Swisher's versatility makes him a necessary component on the 2009 Yankees.

Xavier Nady, we hardly knew ye.

4 comments:

LammsDunph said...

You have a pretty impressive grasp of this stuff. I look forward to reading more of your analysis.

R.J. said...

I really, really hope that we keep both. Look at your last post on the problems of 2008 and notice how shitty that bench was. Johnny can very easily get injured, and who says Matsui's knees will hold up? I'd love to have Nady coming off the bench or spelling Johnny some days off during the week than just give him away. We need the bats, and we need the depth.

R.J. said...

However, I agree that if one must go it should be Nady. He had a career year and his value will never be higher while wearing a Yankee uniform. We got Swisher for scrap pieces so why would we expect anything more in return?

Dan Lammon said...

I think Matsui will be fine as the DH, in fact I really think he'll excel in that spot. His knees should be fine on the bench.

I would also prefer to keep both Nady and Swisher and get the pick when Nady leaves, but there still are some needs that should be met going forward.

A 5th starter is one. Emerging middle infield prospects is another and a CF upgrade is a third.

Nady is the guy who can net some of those things. I just think the Yankees will need to be bowled over by an offer to actually go through with it. Swisher off the bench is probably better than Swisher the everyday player.